Re: Dmix problem

Hi Clemens,

> >> Is there any other plugin doing the same thing as dmix... but working ?
>
> Yes, dmix with a larger buffer size (i.e., more periods).

Hmm. Yes. I've tried running aplay with "chrt --rr 99" and it got way more stable, even at as low a settings as 64 frames (period_size) + 2 periods.

I can work with this, although it feels a bit unsafe having everything connected to the dmix device running with a RR scheduler (with max priority).

> The dmix plugin does not do sample rate conversion, i.e., each client
> connecting to it is forced to use the dmix rate.  (If you wanted to, it would
> be possible to put a "plug" or "rate" plugin on top of it.)

On that note, is there some ALSA plugin that can coalesce buffering ? Meaning that the plugin can take f.i. larger period_size than what the dmix device is working with ?

Regards
/Robert