Dmix problem

Hi, I'm using the audioinjector octocard on a R Pi 3, and I have a problem where the system default dmix (dmix:0,0) plays just fine (via aplay), but my own defined dmix device occasionally stops streaming with a xrun condition:

Status(R/W):
  state       : RUNNING
  trigger_time: 13953.124684
  tstamp      : 13953.143017
  delay       : -40232
  avail       : 2109
  avail_max   : 2109
aplay: xrun:1624: read/write error, state = RUNNING

Granted, the default dmix has a period size of 1024 and 16 periods, but my own device has only 2 periods:

pcm.octomix {
    type dmix
    ipc_key 321456 # any unique value
    ipc_key_add_uid true
    slave {
        pcm "hw:0"
        format S32_LE
        rate 48000
        channels 8
        period_time 0
        period_size 1024
        periods 2
    }
}

The reason is that for my project I need to have as low a latency as possible in the dmix chain. Is there any other plugin doing the same thing as dmix... but working ? 😊

Regards
/R