Re: aplay underrun length

Samuele Carcagno wrote:
> I often get underruns

Is some other process blocking the CPU or disk I/O?

Try increasing the period size.

> a single underrun lasting about 122-ms would be negligible for my
> experiment

Please note that the stream is stopped, and restarted later.  Can you
actually live with all later samples being shifted in time?

> When aplay says the underrun is 'at least' x seconds, what does this
> mean?

It's the time between when the underrun was detected by the kernel's
interrupt handler and when this message is printed by aplay.  In other
words, aplay should have been scheduled earlier by this amount to be
able to write new samples in time.

> How large could the margin of error be in the estimate of the underrun
> duration?

You have to add the time needed to restart the stream.

> I assume this means that all underruns occuring during the playback of
> a single file will be reported separately?

Yes.

Regards,
Clemens