Get SPDIF-in sample rate

Hi,

I have a CM106-based usb sound card (0d8c:0102) with SPDIF-In. My aim is to decode the compressed audio formats that may come from this source. And the first task for this is to get the original sample rate of the source to avoid any resampling.
According to the CM106 datasheet, one can read the SPDIF-In sample rate from SPDFI_FREQ bits (8~7 of register 03).
What is the correct way to do so? Can ALSA read those register bits? Does ALSA provide any general interface for the userspace applications that indicates the SPDIF source sample rate? Should I attempt to communicate with the hardware with libusb, or can I do it with ALSA only?

Please advise.

Best regards,
Denis Shulyaka