Re: Troubleshooting new USB audio device

Hi, Clemens--

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 5:47 AM, Clemens Ladisch <clemens@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Caelia Chapin wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 5:14 AM, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
>     This might be a bug in the firmware of your device (I guess the driver
>     shipped with it does not bother to ask for the clock source status, and so
>     this function was never tested).
>
>     Do you know how to recompile your kernel?
>
> Yes, I've done it many times - though it has been a few years. What specific customizations would you suggest?

In sound/usb/clock.c, around line 192, try to remove this:

                if (validate && !uac_clock_source_is_valid(chip, entity_id)) {
                        usb_audio_err(chip,
                                "clock source %d is not valid, cannot use\n",
                                entity_id);
                        return -ENXIO;
                }

Yes, that did the trick! Thank you very much for your assistance.

I do have a couple of quick follow-up questions:

1) I presume the code I removed exists for a reason. Are there likely to be any adverse side effects from this kernel modification?

2) I would like to contact Denon about this issue. I think it should not be necessary to hack the kernel in order to get this sound card working; from what you have said it seems like this is a problem the manufacturer should fix. Whether they will or not is another question, since this is evidently not a problem for Windows or Mac users (I mean, it's an expensive piece of pro audio gear, and I think it is inconceivable that a problem like this could exist on those platforms without people complaining loudly). But if it's a matter of standards compliance and doesn't take a huge amount of work to fix, maybe? Can you state definitively that failing to respond to the clock source query is incorrect behavior?

Best regards,
Caelia