Re: a strange thing

On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 06:33:28 -0800, chris hermansen wrote:
>On Nov 14, 2016 06:18, "Kristoffer Gustafsson" wrote:
>> Is there a way to remove pulse audio then and just use alsa?
>> If so I can use my soundcard without having to buy Another one.
>
>Please read the following
>
>http://kodi.wiki/view/PulseAudio/HOW-TO:_Disable_PulseAudio_and_use_ALSA_(without_removing_PulseAudio)_for_Ubuntu
>
>It explains why and how to disable pulse rather than uninstall it.

1.

We don not know if pulseaudio is the culprit.

2.

Even if we should know that it is the culprit, depending on the OP's
needs, it might be wiser to fix the issue and to use pulseaudio.

3.

Assuming regarding the OP needs it should be better to get rid of
pulseaudio, then it would be idiotic to disable it, instead of removing
it completely. Why should somebody disable it, if it's completely
unwanted? If I don't need a package, I don't install it. If something I
should need, works without it, but has got a hard dependency to it, I
simply build an empty dumm package.

Any evidence for the below claim?

"Removing or purging PulseAudio from a Ubuntu system can break other
installed software and potentially cause errors and broken
dependencies."

This is just a claim without explanation. As already pointed out, just
replace it by a dummy package, you even don't need to recompile
software.

If needed I could explain how to build a DEB dummy package and how to
build an Arch Linux dummy package. I'm using them since pulseaudio does
exist without ever experiencing an issue.

But again, removing pulseaudio might not what the OP wants? It's just a
_possibilities_ that pulseaudio is the culprit for the issues, nobody
mentions that it's the cause for the issues.

Regards,
Ralf