Re: ALS275Q / ALC3260 HDA Intel PCH No Toslink S/PDIF Audio Out

Chris, a.o.

On 10/06/2016 11:55 PM, chris hermansen wrote:
Marve and list,

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 1:13 PM, marve <marve@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Chris, a.o.

Thanks for your suggestions!

On 10/05/2016 10:19 PM, chris hermansen wrote:

[stuff deleted]

Second, I have spent endless hours futzing around with crappy intermittent optical connectors and poorly-designed sockets.  Have you any other options to try?

I'm not sure what you mean!

I used to have windows 7 on my system, where the TOSLINK SPDIF worked well. A couple of weeks a go I checked my receiver with a playstation and this works, so the receiver isn't broken.

At the moment I'm using the internal speakers of my Dell. There are HDMI outputs on the Dell, but my receiver hasn't got any of that. Only optical and coaxial SPDIF (my computer only has the optical).

Marve, what I mean here is have you tried other configurations that do work, to isolate for certain that the problem is the Dell + Mint?

For instance, you say "a couple of weeks ago I checked my receiver with a playstation".  You should check it again.

Also, you should try a different TOSLINK connector that is (very recently) known good, ideally the one you just used to check your playstation.

Yes, it was one of the trouble shoot steps I toke, connecting my PS3 to the receiver. I actually used the same optical cable and it worked!

Finally it would be good to try your Dell optical connected to a different receiver.
I'll see if I can do this in the near future!

Third, when you send audio to the device, does the situation change?
This is kind of annoying! When I open Pulse Audio Volume Control I can select the Digital Stereo (IEC958) Output (Configuration) and the Digital Output S/PDIF (Output Device). Then, when I "send audio" for example, the volume meter on the Pulse Audio windows starts dancing, but there is no sound coming from the speakers!

Do you see anything odd in syslog / with dmesg?  Any error messages when you start to try to play something?

When I switch between Digital Stereo (IEC958) Output and Analog Stereo Duplex there are some rtkit-daemon messages, but no errors.
Did you run alsa-info.sh and share with this list (sorry I forget)?

Have you tried using aplay with the appropriate device?

Seeing as you have Jack, Pulse and (I guess ALSA) installed... Not knowing anything about Jack, have you tried booting from a live CD to see if sound works without Jack?

I'll try this too!

Thanks again!

M.
--
Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com

C'est ma façon de parler.