Re: ALS275Q / ALC3260 HDA Intel PCH No Toslink S/PDIF Audio Out

Chris, a.o.

Thanks for your suggestions!

On 10/05/2016 10:19 PM, chris hermansen wrote:
Marve and list,

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 11:59 AM, marve <marve@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Some additional info, my Jack Retask settings:

It seems that with Pin ID: 0x1e there is some response and this is the
only pin that has SPDIF options. It detects 'Not Connected'

The settings are:

Connectivity: Internal
Location: Rear
Device: SPDIF Out
Jack: Optical
Color: Black
Jack Detection: Present
Channel group: 8 ( I have tried them all)
Channel (in group): Back

Anyone suggestions I could try?

You are using Jack and it's safe to say I don't know jack about that... but a few things I can think of.

First, the setting "Channel (in group): Back" - that doesn't seem to be a useful setting.  Wouldn't you want "Front" instead?

Yes, I have tried this (it actually was the default setting) and it doesn't make a difference.

Second, I have spent endless hours futzing around with crappy intermittent optical connectors and poorly-designed sockets.  Have you any other options to try?

I'm not sure what you mean!

I used to have windows 7 on my system, where the TOSLINK SPDIF worked well. A couple of weeks a go I checked my receiver with a playstation and this works, so the receiver isn't broken.

At the moment I'm using the internal speakers of my Dell. There are HDMI outputs on the Dell, but my receiver hasn't got any of that. Only optical and coaxial SPDIF (my computer only has the optical).

Third, when you send audio to the device, does the situation change?
This is kind of annoying! When I open Pulse Audio Volume Control I can select the Digital Stereo (IEC958) Output (Configuration) and the Digital Output S/PDIF (Output Device). Then, when I "send audio" for example, the volume meter on the Pulse Audio windows starts dancing, but there is no sound coming from the speakers!

Fourth, this is interesting though it talks about Pulse and Alsa interactions and not Jack.  https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/628

I can't seem to find the gstreamer-properties in any package (no suggestion with apt). I think I have tried this on a older Mint distribution.
I have tried this too!

Sixth, Dell did (does?) sell some XPS machines with Linux; does Dell have any drivers for this?

Yes, well, I don't think Dell has device software. There is a driver from the chip manufacturer, which I tried to install manually. I think this is incorporated in alsa already.

That's it for me.

Thanks for answering, have a good one!

--
Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com

C'est ma façon de parler.