Re: TEAC CR H101DAB receiver not seen as a sound device

Bob and list;

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 3:04 PM, Bob Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 11:12:32 -0700
chris hermansen <clhermansen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Bob, what connects your computer to your TEAC?  A USB cable?

Yes, a USB cable. I also have a sound card, but want to use the TEAC
DAC.

> What music player do you use?

MPD

> What is the output of "aplay -L" in a terminal window?

bob@hexagon:~> aplay -L
null
default
    Default ALSA Output (currently PulseAudio Sound Server)
sysdefault:CARD=D1
    Xonar D1, Multichannel
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=D1,DEV=0
    Xonar D1, Multichannel
    Front speakers
surround21:CARD=D1,DEV=0
    Xonar D1, Multichannel
    2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
surround40:CARD=D1,DEV=0
    Xonar D1, Multichannel
surround41:CARD=D1,DEV=0
    Xonar D1, Multichannel
surround50:CARD=D1,DEV=0
    Xonar D1, Multichannel
surround51:CARD=D1,DEV=0
    Xonar D1, Multichannel
surround71:CARD=D1,DEV=0
    Xonar D1, Multichannel
iec958:CARD=D1,DEV=0
    Xonar D1, Multichannel
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
sysdefault:CARD=DEVICE
    TEAC USB AUDIO DEVICE, USB Audio
front:CARD=DEVICE,DEV=0
    TEAC USB AUDIO DEVICE, USB Audio
    Front speakers
surround21:CARD=DEVICE,DEV=0
    TEAC USB AUDIO DEVICE, USB Audio
    2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
surround40:CARD=DEVICE,DEV=0
    TEAC USB AUDIO DEVICE, USB Audio
surround41:CARD=DEVICE,DEV=0
    TEAC USB AUDIO DEVICE, USB Audio
surround50:CARD=DEVICE,DEV=0
    TEAC USB AUDIO DEVICE, USB Audio
surround51:CARD=DEVICE,DEV=0
    TEAC USB AUDIO DEVICE, USB Audio
surround71:CARD=DEVICE,DEV=0
    TEAC USB AUDIO DEVICE, USB Audio
iec958:CARD=DEVICE,DEV=0
    TEAC USB AUDIO DEVICE, USB Audio
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output

I would take this step by step.

First you should use aplay to find out what works and what doesn't.  Find a .wav file of representative music somewhere or create one (use soundconverter for instance).

Run "aplay -l" to make sure that your TEAC card is card 1 (it looks as though it is but check)

Then try playing the resulting .wav file with aplay through the TEAC, like this:

aplay -D hw:1,0 mysong.wav

(this will play at full volume if it works so make sure you have your volume turned way down)

If that doesn't work, try

aplay -D plughw:1,0 mysong.wav

Assuming one or the other of those works...

Second, is the TEAC dedicated to MPD's use, or will you want other programs to use it (like VLC)?

Assuming it's dedicated, then I would configure MPD to talk directly to the TEAC through ALSA, especially if you have music at varying bit rates and you want to pass them through untouched.

I run two music servers in my house, both with MPD and dedicated DACs.  My audio output stanza in my /etc/mpd.conf looks like this:

audio_output {
enabled         "yes"
type            "alsa"
name            "Schiit Bifrost"
device          "hw:2,0"
mixer_type      "disabled"
auto_resample   "no"
auto_channels   "no"
auto_format     "no"
dop             "no"
}

You would have to change the name and the device.

If the aplay experiments didn't work or you don't want to dedicate, then get back to the list.

--
Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com

C'est ma façon de parler.