Several similar usb midi devices

Hello,

I'm trying to use two USB MIDI foot controllers from the same manufacturer at the same time and I'm facing the usual problem that the device names and numbers change depending on connection order. The first one connected is called SSCOM, the second one SSCOM_1.

I added udev rules as explained here: http://alsa.opensrc.org/Udev (section 1.4) and now the names in /proc/asound/cards reflect the USB slot where my controller is connected instead of the order of connection (e.g., controller_left and controller_right).

So far so good, but... if I list the MIDI ports with e.g. `pmidi -l`, I still get SSCOM and SSCOM_1 instead of my custom names.

Is it possible to have the Udev renaming affect the midi subsystem? or is there another way to distinguish my controllers?

My next goal is to distinguish the controllers from portmidi, but I think a first step is having alsa distinguish them.

Thanks for your help,

Matt