Missing recording controls on supported Behringer sound cards

I have a Behringer UFO-202 and UCA-202 USB sound card. Both are supported by ALSA.

Under Raspian (Debian) Wheezy, the playback control is visible in alsamixer but not the recording control. The same is true in the desktop: in the Audio Device Settings, the playback control appears but not the recording control.

With other USB sound cards like the Creative Sound Blaster MP3, both controls are seen.

Oddly, I can record perfectly with arecord.

What's the trick to get the recording control visible?

Chuck