How do I run arecord on raw digital mic buffer?

I have a DMA that is able to take my digital microphones (2 channels), and store them non interleaved into DDR that I've allocated in my driver. The IRQ fires correctly, and the data seems to be accurate.

My question is more of a generic one. First, is the best method to build a sound card and a capture PCM? From there, do I copy the DMA buffer address in the TRIGGER case statements? Or is there a simpler method?

I have built a custom driver that ALSA sees as a card and as a PCM capture device, and when I call arecord, I can get into the trigger ops, but I'm not sure where to do the framing of the data.

I've followed Ben Collins' tutorial, in addition to Takashi Iwai, but I'm still somewhat lost on where the arecord actually works on the driver.

Most of the tutorials seem to imply an IRQ signals a frame of data has transferred; is that the only way, or can I just DMA the data, and then have ALSA work on the buffer?

Thanks,
Rob