Re: aloop questions and a possible suggestion

Clemens Ladisch <cladisch <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> Xover wrote:
> > Clemens Ladisch <cladisch <at> googlemail.com> writes:
> >> It is intended to be used when there is no actual hardware device.
> >
> > By way of some background, what is the snd-loop rate shift facility
intended
> > to be used for?
>
> To synchronize with some other clock.
>
> (Which is what you were doing; but a plugin doesn't require
> synchronization to begin with.)
>
> Regards,
> Clemens

-----

The thing is, I see people using the snd-aloop driver as a means to tee off
audio between an application and a sound card, or even as a means to
connect one audio source to two sound cards, all over the place. Sometimes
they set the rate shift manually in an attempt to prevent the inevitable
drift problems, but of course without 'closing the loop' this will always
result in disaster eventually.

In the simple requirement of needing to record the output of an audio
player app while at the same time listening to it on a real (playback-only)
sound card, what should they do? Can this all be handled with off-the-shelf
plugins and without any adaptive resampling? The audio player app may only
direct its output to 'default', and the audio recording app needs to engage
with a driver for its source..? Can a few lines of text placed in asoundrc
solve this problem without resorting to the snd-aloop driver? If you could
just suggest to me how this would be done, I think a lot of things would
fall into place for me...

Many thanks