problem with Microphone coming through master

Hi.  I am having a problem with the microphone coming through Master.  I
am using emu_10k1 and linux 3.14 kernel.  libs and utils version are
1.0.29.  Now what is strange is that  if I say
amixer set Master playback off then Master hears nothing and the mic is
still captured.  Interestingly enough the Mic volume seems to have no
effect whatsoever, but the Capture volume controls the mic.  Now if I
try to say
amixer set Capture playback off
it tells me invalid command.  So, what series of commands do I need to
have the Mic captured, but not come through  to the master?    Also, why
is the Mic volume not doing anything?

I have search Google to no effect.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

How do