Re: Continuous Recording

On Thu, Mar 05, 2015 at 09:39:17AM -0800, Robin _ wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am working on an audio logger for a University radio station.  The
> idea is to log all data to disk, 24/7/365 without interruption.  What
> I am finding is that to record 1s of audio, it takes 1s of waiting,
> plus a small additional bit of time to copy that audio into userspace,
> about 1.8 ms on the system I am using.  Therefore, in a day, I can not
> record a full day of audio.   I am not using the MMAP functions, which
> I suppose might reduce that delay, if it is mostly caused by copying
> the data.

Hi,

I'm not sure to understand the problem. While data's being copied
from memory to disk, your sound card will be recording the next
block of data to memory, so no samples are lost.

> does anyone know of a readymade open source program for 24/7/365
> logging?

AFAICS, any program recording raw samples could do the job
(arecord, sox, etc...)

The problem is how to always keep available space on the
filesystem. The simpler option would to record to a unix pipe and
then store data into 1-day long files without closing the pipe (for
instance with the dd utility). Then, from time to time move old
files away to free space.

HTH