How to set default sound card

On 13Nov2013 I added a Creative Labs sound card to my PCLOS Linux system.
(CA0106 Soundblaster). The mother board (Intel Z87-A) has on-board
audio, but I was never able to get it working. The problem I then
had was setting the ca0106 card as default. The ALSA web site advised
one way was to edit /etc/modprobe.d/snd-options and add "options
snd_hda_intel index=-2" to instruct ALSA to never use this card as
primary (0). I did that and its worked up until I did a full system
update on 20Jan2015. To get this update working properly I had to install
the latest kernel (3.18.3).
Since then the system boots up with 'random' sound card order.

Here is a typical 'modules' list:
$ cat /proc/asound/modules
 0 snd_hda_intel
 1 snd_hda_intel
 2 snd_ca0106

my snd-options file:
$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/snd-options
options bt87x index=-2
options cx88-alsa index=-2
options saa7134-alsa index=-2
options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2
options snd-intel8x0m index=-2
options snd-via82xx-modem index=-2
options snd-usb-audio index=-2
options snd-usb-caiaq index=-2
options snd-usb-ua101 index=-2
options snd-usb-us122l index=-2
options snd-usb-usx2y index=-2
options snd-cmipci mpu_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388
options snd-pcsp index=-2
options snd_hda_intel index=-2
$
and modules.conf file:
$ cat /etc/modules.conf
# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF version 1.0.27.2 ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias snd-card-0 snd-ca0106
alias sound-slot-0 snd-ca0106
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

I revisted the ALSA web page - here is an excerpt from "how to set default
sound card:

If your sound card order changes on boot, you can specify their order in
any file ending with .conf in /etc/modprobe.d
(/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf is suggested). For example, if you want
your mia sound card to be #0:

/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

options snd_mia index=0
options snd_hda_intel index=1"

I created the following /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf file:
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
	options snd_ca0106 index=0
	options snd_hda_intel index=1

I then did a re-boot and $ cat /proc/asound/modules
 0 snd_ca0106
 1 snd_hda_intel
 2 snd_hda_intel

Today when I logged in, I did cat /proc.asound/modules and card ca0106 was
NOT LISTED, only the 2 Intel cards.

I removed alsa-base.conf, did re-boot and card ca0106 was again listed.
Apparently the ALSA instructions above, are no longer valid.

The ALSA web site apperently addressed this issue, but the 'last updates'
are 1999, and the config files mentioned no longer exist.

At this point I decided to ask for some help.
I posted to the PCLOS Forum, but recieved no response.

Thanks for any help,
Jim Phelps

--
jim phelps <jimtrish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>