Re: Digital Input on ALC3661 (from laptop HDMI IN) not working under Linux

Am 27.12.2014 um 19:18 schrieb Doug:
> I was surprised to find, after some years of very bad results, that
> PulseAudio now seems to work, and provides some things that Alsa does
> not. (In my case, it is the ability to get sound out
> of two sound detectors at once--the mobo sound system, and an Nvidia
> video card with a sound detector and HDMI ouptput. I use the mobo sound
> at the computer, and the HDMI sound and video on
> my TV, in another room.) Your mileage may vary, as they say.
>
> --doug

I can confirm your findings, pulseaudio is also working fine for me in most cases since the last years (I am also using it on this machine, as you can see in my alsa-info).

The problem at hand, however, is at a lower level: Pulseaudio does not see any digital input, it can only access as much as the ALSA-drivers offer. I think there are some exceptions for bluetooth where Pulseaudio (more or less) directly pairs with devices without using alsa, but for any sound card, it relies on drivers.
As my problem is already visible in alsa-mixer (although there is a "digital" mixer in the capture part, it does not seem to affect anything - there is nothing remotely related to HDMI in) pulseaudio can not help here.

Cheers,
Oliver