Re: Newbie to compile opl3 driver

5 nov 2014 kl. 18:02 skrev Bill Unruh <unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On Wed, 5 Nov 2014, John Smith wrote:

On Wed, 05 Nov 2014 08:45:16 +0100, Clemens Ladisch
<cladisch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

John Smith wrote:
On Tue, 04 Nov 2014 08:44:17 +0100, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
John Smith wrote:
With "outdated", you mean everything in the link
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-opl3-sa2 ?
Or something specific?

Only what it says about alsa-driver.

But I still have to "$ ./configure" alsa-lib, alsa-utils and
alsa-firmware. Right?

Only if you wanted to update those packages.

And do I want to update those packages in order to compile a snd-opl3sa2
kernel module that I can then modprobe into my system at boot time?

And do I have to do anything with alsa-driver? Or how can I get my hands
on such a snd-opl3sa2 kernel module?

It is part of the alsa distribution and is included in your kernel source.
You just need to compile it. But as I said exactly how to go about compiling a
single alsa module I cannot help with.

Though rather old, a Debian how-to (also valid for Ubuntu I believe) might be a starting point?

What is still relevant to get my laptop to play/record mp3 files?

The snd-opl3-sa2 module.

I don't have such a module available:
$ modinfo snd-opl3-sa2
ERROR: Module snd-opl3-sa2 not found.

Sorry, it's actually named snd-opl3sa2.

That doesn't help either:
$ modinfo snd-opl3sa2
ERROR: Module snd-opl3sa2 not found.

Looks like I'll have to compile that module. But how?

What is the module "opl3" for?

Its an OSS driver for OPL3 chips.
But you want an ALSA driver for OPL3-SA2 chips.

Thank you for the clarification.