Re: Asus Xonar DX and DSX

Marek and list;

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 1:16 AM, Marek Kowalski <marek500200@xxxxx> wrote:

Dnia 28 października 2014 23:22 chris hermansen napisał(a):

>I have a DX in my Dell running Ubuntu 14.04.
> I also have a few different pairs of headphones including AKG 701s, Grado 80s and Etymotic IEMs.
> If there is some configuration you would like tested, let me know.

Yes, I would like you to do few tests of this card.

Ok here we go...

1) When you set card volume to 0 (and if headphones have on-cable volume control set it to 0 too), do headphones play in such conditions? Because right now I'm sitting on Audigy SB0090/Realtek 892 and on both cards when volume is set to 0 (basically muted), my 32 Ohm Creative headphones ignore it and just play, rather quiet but still play (it only happens on ALSA, not Windows). Happens on all headphones I tested, maybe bug in ALSA?

With my AKG701s (62 ohms according to the manufacturer), the volume slider all the way down produces no sound that I can hear.  As Clemens mentions, there is a mute switch and it works nicely (gradual off / on).  Note that AKG's are recognized to be inefficient and a good listening volume is in the loud half of the slider motion.

2) Are Etymotics by any chance in ear headphones? I would like to know how does the Xonar work with in ear headphones, as I use them sometimes.

The Etymotics are indeed in-ear monitors.  I used them with my old Samsung Android phone and use them with my current Google Nexus 5.  I like them a lot when travelling as they have a superlative seal and really block a lot of noise.  I often wear them unconnected while flying...

3) Are basses and trebles good on headphones on this card? I mean it's hard to tell if this card has headphone amp for such stuff, as reviews say it doesn't, but in docs they say it has headphone amp, so I don't know to be honest what to expect in that matter.

With the AKG's, yes, the sound is good.  There is decent deep bass and the treble is clear and clean.  I don't get a sense of the amplifier being overdriven; cymbals sound like cymbals, etc etc.

With the Etymotics, no, the sound is not good.  In particular there is absolutely no bass below (I'm guessing here) 100-150 Hz.  None, zero.  I imagine this is an impedance mismatch because these phones sound quite good with my Android phone.  Stay away from this combo.

You didn't ask this, but I formerly used the TOSLINK out of this card to drive my DAC in my home stereo (a Schiit Bifrost).  I was very happy with the combination.

You also didn't ask this, but I have no experience using the card for conference calling, multi-channel sound etc etc.  No real way to test the latter either.

My version of the card did not come with any mechanism to connect to the front panel, so all connections (including the headphone) must be made to the rear.

Finally, the card needs additional power, in my case from an on-board power header.

Anything else?

--
Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com

C'est ma façon de parler.