Re: Asus Xonar DX and DSX

Clemens Ladisch <cladisch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What models?

Well, I experienced few cards that weren't fully supported on ALSA. One is obviously DGX, but now I know it got fixed. I will need to think a bit which cards they were.

However, in ALSA these days there is a big problem with Raltek ALC 1150 (especially when it has additional amplifiers). Right now in high-end boards most motherboard manufacturers (MSI, Asrock, Asus, Gigabyte) put some actually very good onboard solutions. One example is Purity Sound 2 system using by Asrock, link here: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97%20Extreme4/ (ctrl-f purity sound).

So unless something changed in very recent kernels, ALC 1150 is either crackling noise or just very poor quality sound (it is very good chip but ALSA can't use it properly). That's first problem.
The second problem is that for example that Asrock Purity Sound has both rear and front input amplifier. I am 100% sure that neither of them works, because sound is so much worse than on Windows.
I heard that the same problem is with ALC 898 + amplifiers, used by MSI, but I can't confirm it as I only own Asrock mobo with 1150.

So this is a big problem with ALC 1150 (and maybe ALC 898, but I can't test it) and its amplifiers, unless something changed in very recent kernels (tested on Ubuntu 14.04).