Capture of sound before application starts

I'm working on an app that captures audio using the ALSA API.

A tester of the app noticed the following behavior. If a sound is playing
just before the app starts, and then the app is started, that sound
is captured when snd_pcm_readi() is called. Any sound playing within
about a second before starting the app is captured in this way.

Is this behavior expected?

What I want the app to do is capture only the sound that occurs after the
application starts. How can I assure that happens (snd_pcm_drop(), maybe?).

Thanks for any help.

-- Paul