How to raise the limit of 32 pcm.softvol interfaces?

It seems that there is a limit of 32 pcm softvol interfaces.

In my test script I loop running speaker-test with a new softvol

on each run and finally see this after creating 32 pcm softvol.

speaker-test 1.0.27.2

Playback device is default

Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels

Using 16 octaves of pink noise

ALSA lib pcm_softvol.c:747:(softvol_load_control) Cannot add a control

Playback open error: -12,Cannot allocate memory

This is the code we use in asound.conf to create the softvol:

pcm.softvol

{

type softvol

slave

{

pcm "playback"

format "S16_LE"

}

control

{

name

{

@func concat

strings [ "NTB_"

{

@func getenv

vars [ ONELAN_MIXER_SUFFIX ]

default "Unknown"

}

]

}

card "PCH"

}

}

pcm.!default

{

type plug

slave.pcm "softvol"

}

I have been reading alsa code and Googling but have not yet found where this limit is coming from.

Could you point in the right direction please?

Barry