Re: AudioQuest DragonFly v1.0 DAC

Adam, list

On Aug 4, 2014 2:42 PM, "Adam Khan" <trinsnet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My current, broken kernel:
>
> Working kernel:
> > uname -a
> > Linux avignon 3.13.0-32-generic #57-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 15 03:51:08
> > UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> I still have Debian kernels 3.13-1 and 3.12-1 installed so I booted with
> each of them. 3.13-1 exhibits the same problems as 3.14-2.
>
> 3.12-1 works properly! ***

OK well this is good news.

Earlier you mentioned some error messages in your syslog. Are these absent in 3.12-1?

If so, you can probably find the new code in the source tree and see if you can detect what is happening.

> tested with aplay:
> aplay -D plughw:DragonFly <file>.wav
>
> uname -srv
> Linux 3.12-1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.12.9-1 (2014-02-01)
>
> Devices 'iec598:DragonFly' and 'hw:DragonFly' work if the source is 24
> bit.
>

> > I don't know why this is, but I spent a long time trying to figure
> > out what was "wrong" with my configuration, the kernel, the Alsa
> > driver, etc etc when I finally in desperation plugged the card into
> > one of the other USB ports and POOF all worked fine.
> >
> > So, if you have a different set of USB ports or a different machine
> > to try, you might want to give that a go first.
> My machine is a Thinkpad X200 with dock. I tested USB ports on both
> sides of the Thinkpad and the dock ports. Also I tested without any
> other USB devices present but none of that helped. I just thought of
> this.. maybe I should test on my monitor's USB hub. I lack the
> necessary USB A-B cable at the moment.
>
> I tested using Foobar on Win7 in my university's library on a Dell
> machine and the DAC worked properly. I don't have other Linux machines
> at the moment to test with.
> >
> > Beyond that, I have a completely vanilla configuration (no messing
> > with Alsa configuration files).  I continue to let Pulse Audio live
> > on my system, and the default sound card is the Intel stuff delivered
> > with the machine.  So all alerts and system audio go through that
> > subsystem, and only Guayadeque uses the Dragonfly.
> I don't have pulse installed. I did have pulse installed before I got
> the DAC but I uninstalled it during testing of this issue.
>
> I have jack installed but it isn't running. I installed jack during
> testing of this issue and I learned something about it: jack uses
> padded s32le for 24 bit devices. If the device doesn't support s32le it
> falls back to s16le. 'true' 24 bit in jack is currently unavailable:
> http://linux-audio.com/jack/
> jack wouldn't work with the DAC in any configuration except for 96000
> kHz 16 bit, which is interesting. I didn't include my jack results
> earlier because it is seems irrelevant.

It seems to me worthwhile trying without Jack (though I know nothing about Jack).

> > Also, generally I plug in the Dragonfly after the machine is booted,
> > so all other audio configuration is probably pretty stable and
> > configured by the time that happens.
> I have tried both methods with the newer kernels but neither works.
> The working 3.12 kernel is with device plugged in from boot.
>

> > Let me know if you want me to collect any more data for you from my
> > end.

> My lsusb -v for DragonFly in Debian kernel 3.12-1 is identical to
> Ubuntu kernel 3.13.0-32.
>
> My lsusb -v for DragonFly in Debian kernel 3.14-2 has different section
> order and an extra section to Ubuntu 3.13.0-32.
>
> Additional section:
>       AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
>         bLength                20
>         bDescriptorType        36
>         bDescriptorSubtype      1 (AS_GENERAL)
>         bTerminalLink           5
>         bDelay                  1 frames
>         wFormatTag              1 PCM
>
> Where can I view and submit bug reports for snd_usb_audio?

Maybe one of the devs on this list can answer this.

I believe that snd_USB_audio bugs are filed against the kernel. Certainly the kernel bug tracker has lots of bugs filed under that.

> I've been trying to figure that out to determine if something is already
> filed for this but I cannot seem to locate the proper place.
>
> I tried to test Ubuntu 14.04.1 but the USB drive didn't boot. I'll try
> again.

I think it's worthwhile to try with a live CD / memory stick version of Ubuntu given that we know it works for me and given the problems you experience above.

Given that you have found that 3.12 works and 3.14 doesn't we have to hope that one of the experts on this list can chime in with some better suggestions than mine.