Re: need some info about tascam US-144mkII and driver snd-usb-us122l

On 05/20/2014 11:40 AM, jean-noël chardron wrote:
> thank you for the answer.
> I know absolutely nothing about usb protocol, howto write a device
> driver and sound card.

Well, that was once true for each driver developer at some point in time ;)

>  So it's not today that i am going to write a
> driver for this device.
> Netherless if you know a (free) software that can explore the protocol I
> take it. and too a starting point papers to read about them .

The USB spec is an important source of information:

  http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/usb20_docs/#usb20spec

You can trace the USB communication with usbmon from Linux userspace
(read Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt). This also works when the USB device
is attached to a virtual machine, for example VirtualBox. This way, you
can trace the communication between the device and the Windows driver,
and then try to make sense of the content. The goal is to create a Linux
driver that speaks the same protocol, and implements the ALSA interface
on the other side. The existing ul122 driver might be worth reusing, as
it probably has the right skeleton in place.

Best regards,
Daniel