Re: speakers do not mute after headphones plugged in

On Sat, 3 May 2014, Antonis Kouzoupis wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> After I installed Debian on my newly bought Dell XPS 13 laptop, everything worked
> perfectly - after some tweaking of course - except sound. Laptop has two audio
> cards:
>
> # cat /proc/asound/cards
> 0 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI
>                      HDA Intel HDMI at 0xf0510000 irq 62
> 1 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
>                      HDA Intel PCH at 0xf0514000 irq 59
>
> My very simple asound.conf with dmixer is this [0]
> The problem is when I plug in headphones, output comes both from the laptop's
> speakers and from headphones. The kernel I use is Debian 3.13-1-amd64 and alsa
> version is 1.0.27.2

I always thought that was hardware, not software. Ie, the headphone plugin
contains a little switch which diverts the sound. But I could be wrong. Have
you had that same laptop actually work as you want with some other
distribution/operating system?