snd_usb_audio: distorted capture using M-Audio Fast Track Pro

I have an M-Audio Fast Track Pro which I would to like to use for
audio capture.  I've been testing audio capture using the following
command:

$ arecord -f dat -D hw:0,1 | aplay -f dat

I am finding that ALSA has some issues a far as the Fast Track Pro is
concerned:

- Roughly 80% of the time, audio capture works.

- In about 15% of cases, the captured signal suffers extreme digital
  distortion.

- In the remaining ~5% of cases, the captured signal isn't clipping,
  but it sounds like there is quite a bit of quantization distortion
  (i.e., it sounds like it was recorded in 8 bit).

Once I get a distorted signal, all subsequent invocations of arecord
produce a similarly distorted signal.  The only way I have found to
make the problem go away, at least temporarily, is to power-cycle the
device.

Note that the distortion doesn't occur mid-stream; a capture is either
all good or all bad.  This leads me to suspect that ALSA is improperly
initializing the Fast Track Pro, but I am not sure why this results in
a distorted signal only some of the time.

Audio capture seems to work well when using the device under Windows,
so I don't think my hardware is defective.  Additionally, after
raising the issue on the linux-audio-user mailing list, other Fast
Track Pro users have reported a similar issue with the ALSA driver.

I'm hoping those more knowledgeable than myself might be able to steer
me in the right direction here.  I would be more than happy to
contribute my time to help debug and test any possible solutions in
order to improve the current driver.

.lewis