Re: OSS emulation doesn't allow mixing.

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014, Beojan Stanislaus wrote:

> I am not a developer, just a user who was shocked by the tone of your
> email. However I highly doubt that oss will be included in the kernel
> again. This its because most applications on Linux have been written using
> alsa, sand it appears oss hasn't been updated sine 2008.

The original oss has not, whic his what alsa emulated because it was the
dominant sound platform at the time. OSS however was being developed by a
company, and AFAIK it has continued developing it.
Note that ALSA also does have mixing on the alsa level. There are layers
(jack, pulseaudio,....) above alsa which can be used for mixing, etc.