Strange change of sample rate upon connecting mixing desk

Hi all, now here is one of the weirdest problems I have come across in
the past years. Actually it is halting my current production even, but
I am primarily interested how this error is caused (and how it can be
solved):

The sampling rate of my RME HDSP Card is set from "Internal 44.1k" to
"Internal 48k" upon connecting a Yamaha DM1000 mixing console via usb!

The console does not provide a USB audio interface, but several midi
ports over USB, using the snd_usb_audio module.

cat /proc/asound/cards:

 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xf2520000 irq 43
 1 [DSP            ]: H-DSP - Hammerfall DSP
                      RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface at 0xf0000000,
                        irq 19
 2 [DM1000         ]: USB-Audio - DM1000
                      Yamaha DM1000 at usb-0000:00:1d.0-1.2, full
                        speed
29 [ThinkPadEC     ]: ThinkPad EC - ThinkPad Console Audio Control
                      ThinkPad Console Audio Control at EC reg 0x30,
                        fw 6QHT26WW-1.07

>From HDSP's alsamixer I can see that upon connecting the DM1000 the
control "Sample Clock Source Locking" gets set to [Off], and the
sample rate is set to 48k as described above.

The change is also reflected in the 'hdspconf' software that
configures some properties of the card.

cat /proc/asound/pcm does not list the DM1000:
        00-00: CONEXANT Analog : CONEXANT Analog : playback 1 : capture 1
        00-03: HDMI 0 : HDMI 0 : playback 1
        01-00: RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface : RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface : playback 1 : capture 1

This is on a Debian box runnig kernel 3.2.0-4-rt-amd64

Can anyone imagine what causes this strange behavior?

Thank you so much for all hints

best, P