Re: Microphone not functioning.

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014, David Vincent-Jones wrote:

> Takashi Iwai <tiwai <at> suse.de> writes:

>> If this still doesn't work, it can be rather the way of testing.
>> This digital mic might be a PDM unit with the inverted signal in one
>> channel.  Try to record a stereo stream, e.g.
>>
>>    arecord -Dhw -fdat -vv foo.wav
>>
>> Or, try to pass model=inv-dmic.  If this works, we can cook up a
>> correct patch.
>>
>> Takashi
>>

> The arecord produced only 'white-noise' but no microphone input whatsoever.

If you really ran the above command just as stated, then the "inverted mic"
explanation is not the right one.

One thing you always need to do is to make sure that the volume in alsa is set
properly for the input. Eg, I was driving myself mad because the sound was
very noisy (but there was a signal). I was almost ready to send the computer
back under warrenty.  I should have known better in that it
took me a while to look at the alsamixer and discover that the volume slider
on the input was way down.
I felt very silly.