Re: Arcam rpac, config help

Ok I downloaded Ubuntu, I'll let you know as soon as i'll have done some testing. BTW my device used to work on ubuntu (12.10
 I think) I removed pulseaudio and selected alsa output on gmusicbrowser. Lately it stopped working for some reason.

My main OS is now debian so i wanted to make it work on it, but i'l follow your advice, we'll try to make it working on ubuntu 13.10 first, then we'll see.

2014/1/5 chris hermansen <clhermansen@xxxxxxxxx>
Hi Vince and list;

On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 2:17 PM, Vince Ur <vince.um@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Rutger,

>I don't think that aplay can handle a .flac file directly

you are right I am using alsaplayer now
here's the output:

let's back up a step!

I believe you that the kernel in wheezy is 3.2 but I bet to get the kind of performance you want out of your XMOS usb interface will require something newer!

If you want to test with aplay (and you SHOULD want to test with aplay) you need to convert your flac to a wav file.  You can use the flac command line tools to do that.

alsaplayer -d rp Music/208_-_Mio_Nemico.mp3
Unable to install hw params:

That line above is kind of important!

ACCESS:  RW_INTERLEAVED
FORMAT:  S16_LE
SUBFORMAT:  STD
SAMPLE_BITS: 16
FRAME_BITS: 32
CHANNELS: 2
RATE: 44100
PERIOD_TIME: (11609 11610)
PERIOD_SIZE: 512
PERIOD_BYTES: 2048
PERIODS: 16
BUFFER_TIME: (185759 185760)
BUFFER_SIZE: 8192
BUFFER_BYTES: 32768
TICK_TIME: 0

Can somebody explain me where the values above are coming from? Is ALSA guessing? Are they coming from my sound card?
It seems to me, that I need to give the right hw  parameteers to ALSA.

here's .asoundrc, I made some little changes

pcm.rp {
        type plug
        slave {
                pcm "hw:1,0"