How do I removing DEV= numbers from around.conf?

I have a /etc/asound.conf file that has the following in it:

pcm.playback
{
    type plug
    slave.pcm
    {
        @func concat
        strings [ "dmix:CARD="
                  {
                    @func getenv
                    vars [ ALSA_CARD ]
                    default "0"
                    }
                  ",DEV="
                    {
                    @func getenv
                    vars [ ALSA_DEVICE ]
                    default 0
                  }
                ]
    }
}

I believe that we can find the index of the card ("PCH" in my case)
from its name with:

{
 @func card_inum
 card 'PCH'
}

But there does not seem to be a way to find the DEV= value.
We currently scan the pcm?p/info files looking for the device
name we are interested in, for example "HDMI 1".

Is it safe to rely on the device index not changing over reboots
and hot plugs for a card's "HDMI 1"? Or is there a better way to
get the DEV= value from a string?

Barry