Trying to get S/PDIF output working

I've got a custom system with an Intel D2700MUD dual-core Atom mobo,
running Alsa 1.0.26 under a 3.8.11 kernel. aplay -l shows the following:

card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1
Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC662 rev1 Digital [ALC662 rev1
Digital]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

The sound generation app successfully opens hw:0,0 and hw:0,1, links them
together, and writes 48KHz stereo audio to both. The analog output works
fine, but the S/PDIF connector on the mobo just sits at 0V, instead of
outputting digital data.

Opening alsamixer, I see lots of controls, two of which relate to S/PDIF.
First, there is a control with no bargraph, a value of "MM", a label of
"S/PDIF", and when I select it, an Item descriptor of "S/PDIF [Off]". Next
to it is another control with no bargraph, a value of "00", a label of
"S/PDIF D", and an Item descriptor of "S/PDIF Default PCM". What are these
things trying to tell me?

The only sound-related item in the BIOS is one parameter which enables
audio in either hi-def or legacy mode, both of which behave the same.
There is nothing specifically about the digital output.

Is there something in Alsa I'm supposed to do to enable this output? And
if it's not enabled, why can I successfully open it and write to it?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:pderocco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx