Re: I think that the current state of ALSA is poor

On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 09:31:57AM +0100, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> wempwer@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >>
> >> The OSS emulation just redirects /dev/dsp to the default ALSA input
> >> device.
> >
> > I wonder how does it do it because on my HP Pavilion DV6 3015ew with
> > HDA ATI SB the following doesn't record sound:
> >
> > $ arecord -f dat -d 3 test.wav
> >
> > However, when I give a device name specifically it does:
> >
> > $ arecord -f dat -d 3 -D hw:0,0 test.wav
>
> What is the output of "arecord -v -f dat -d 3 test.wav"?

$ arecord -v -f dat -d 3 test.wav
Recording WAVE 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo
Plug PCM: Linear conversion PCM (S32_LE)
Its setup is:
  stream       : CAPTURE
  access       : RW_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S16_LE
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 2
  rate         : 48000
  exact rate   : 48000 (48000/1)
  msbits       : 16
  buffer_size  : 8192
  period_size  : 1024
  period_time  : 21333
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  avail_min    : 1024
  period_event : 0
  start_threshold  : 1
  stop_threshold   : 8192
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 4611686018427387904
Slave: Soft volume PCM
Control: Digital Capture Volume
min_dB: -30
max_dB: 30
resolution: 121
Its setup is:
  stream       : CAPTURE
  access       : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S32_LE
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 2
  rate         : 48000
  exact rate   : 48000 (48000/1)
  msbits       : 32
  buffer_size  : 8192
  period_size  : 1024
  period_time  : 21333
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  avail_min    : 1024
  period_event : 0
  start_threshold  : 1
  stop_threshold   : 8192
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 4611686018427387904
Slave: Direct Snoop PCM
Its setup is:
  stream       : CAPTURE
  access       : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S32_LE
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 2
  rate         : 48000
  exact rate   : 48000 (48000/1)
  msbits       : 32
  buffer_size  : 8192
  period_size  : 1024
  period_time  : 21333
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  avail_min    : 1024
  period_event : 0
  start_threshold  : 1
  stop_threshold   : 8192
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 4611686018427387904
Hardware PCM card 0 'HDA ATI SB' device 0 subdevice 0
Its setup is:
  stream       : CAPTURE
  access       : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S32_LE
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 2
  rate         : 48000
  exact rate   : 48000 (48000/1)
  msbits       : 32
  buffer_size  : 8192
  period_size  : 1024
  period_time  : 21333
  tstamp_mode  : ENABLE
  period_step  : 1
  avail_min    : 1024
  period_event : 0
  start_threshold  : 1
  stop_threshold   : 4611686018427387904
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 4611686018427387904
  appl_ptr     : 0
  hw_ptr       : 0

However, situation is different today. I am not able to reproduce this
situation today. I didn't mess with config yesterday or today but I am
sure that such situation took place yesterday. Do you know possible
steps could lead me the situation that I am absolutely sure has
happened yestarday? I am sorry for that. Feel stupid now ... :(

But I forgot about a different issue that became so normal to me that
I do this without even thinking about it. Before I am able to record
any sound with arecord I need to go to alsamixer and press space in
Capture control so that L R Capture show up. It can be set to 0 but I
don't do this I can't use my mic. I can do the same by running aumix
and moving IGain control. I see how L R Capture appears in alsamixer
when I have these 2 mixers opened next to each other.

Here are my cards:

$ less /proc/asound/cards
 0 [SB             ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
                      HDA ATI SB at 0x92400000 irq 16
 1 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
                      HDA ATI HDMI at 0x92310000 irq 41
--
<wempwer@xxxxxxxxx>