Re: Problems with headphone on ASUS K50IJ

On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 10:31:21PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-12-03 at 22:13 +0100, Vivenzio Pagliari wrote:
> >
> > I have a problem with my headphones on my ASUS K50IJ notebook:
> >
> > I have some sound/music being played. Now I plug in my headphone.
> >
> > When running pulseaudio, the speakers mute, but there is no sound
> > on headphone. Without pulseaudio, speakers continue, and still there
> > is no sound on the headphone.
> >
> > As in both situation there is nothing on the headphone, I would
> > rule pulseaudio out as error source.
> >
> > I've uploaded the output of alsa-info.sh to:
> >
> > http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=56a68bf64599c3f0d9f7f6f40df419126f26caf3
> >
> > Any hints what could go wrong? Help appreciated.
>
> If you search the Linux audio user mailing list or Ubuntu Studio users
> mailing list you likely will find an answer.
>
> I only found something similar by a quick search:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2010-March/213411.html
>
> Similar and equal issues are very common, I often read it at those
> mailing lists, but sorry, I don't remember the details.

> Since you're an Arch user, unlikely that the Archive is helpful, but the
> list needs a little bit more traffic:

Thanks for the hint, especially the archaudio-discuss, maybe it will be
useful for me in the future.

Anyway, I think I figured out the problem: On my system the "Independent HP" was
set to enabled, which seems to be broken. Setting this to disabled with alsamixer
put the headphone to work as expected. Muting of speakers when plugging in
headphones is controlled by the "Auto-Mute Mode" switch, and maybe pulseaudio
set this to enabled, while without pulseaudio it was disabled. Enabling again
with alsamixer fixed this as well.

But in the essence, it seems that "Independent HP" on VIA VT1708S seems broken.
What is the expected behaviour, when this is set to enabled?

Vivenzio