Re: Benchmark Media DAC2 HGC iffy USB 2.0 audio

On Thu, 7/11/13, Daniel Mack <zonque@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Subject: Re:  Benchmark Media DAC2 HGC iffy USB 2.0 audio
 To: "Jeff S" <four_season_photo@xxxxxxxxx>
 Cc: alsa-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Date: Thursday, July 11, 2013, 8:09 AM

 Hi Jeff,

 please do not top-post.

 On 11.07.2013 05:44, Jeff S wrote:
 > Thanks for the reply, Daniel.
 >
 > Yes, switching the Benchmark DAC2 from UAC 1.0 to 2.0
 is done in
 > hardware.
 >
 > No Mac OS X drivers or any other software needed to
 operate in UAC
 > 1.0 or 2.0 modes.
 >
 > Works natively in Windows in UAC 1.0 mode, uses
 Benchmark-supplied
 > driver for UAC 2.0 mode. Nothing about this driver
 looks remarkable
 > to me, except that it provides the means to upgrade the
 DAC's
 > firmware.
 >
 > I have added more files Dropbox:
 > https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eq9ed280i1kka4a/hSsAYhyRJ7

>Your system signals an error code of -71, which is an
> internal USB
>protocol error. That is usually caused by broken USB
> peripherals and/or
> bogus host controllers.
>
> Before analyzing anything else: is that PC you run Linux on
> the same
> that you use for your Windows tests? Is there any other
> difference in
> the setups, like USB hubs for instance?
>

>Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I did previously test Windows 7 + Benchmark DAC on this same PC w/o problems. No USB hubs used, same Benchmark-supplied USB cable.

I've also tried it with Windows 8 and Ubuntu on a late-model Thinkpad: Windows 8 is fine, Ubuntu has similar issues.

Jeff