Re: ALSA headache Raspberry Pi

On Fri, 2013-04-05 at 09:28 +0200, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> jon wrote:
> > every so often the process underruns, freezes and does "weird shit".
>
> Known bugs:
> http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2013-January/058136.html

Thanks for that, useful to know.

Interestingly I found raspian has an /etc/asound.conf with this in it :

pcm.mmap0 {
    type mmap_emul;
    slave {
      pcm "hw:0,0";
    }
}

pcm.!default {
  type plug;
  slave {
    pcm mmap0;
  }
}

If I rename it so its disabled my ever growing cache problem goes
away.

I'm just left with the random freezes to try and cure.  My code is doing
a lot of stuff, it is possible something else is blocking from time to
time.  Tricky for me to find it though as running the processes with
strace slows it enough to change its behaviour.

I have some other real time code, all uses < 20% of CPU with a real time
priority yet that also shows small random freezes, my guess is the
kernel itself has a Pi specific problem ?

Thanks,
Jon