Master volume control

I'm doing an embedded synth that runs on an Intel mobo. Its "card" is an
"HDA Intel", and its devices are called ALC662 Rev1 Digital or Analog. I've
managed to figure out how to make sound come out of the analog and digital
jacks. But the analog output has a post-DAC volume control which I'd like to
control from my synth app.

Can anyone tell me how to do this? I don't believe it's humanly possible to
figure this out by reading any of the ALSA "documentation", or even any of
the fragments of information linked to from this site. I take a wild guess
that it has something to do with the Control interface, but the only docs on
that are the Doxygen stuff, which is only useful as a reference for people
who already know what everything means and how it works.

I don't need to know the larger answer about how to programmatically figure
out what sound cards exist, and what sort of controls they may have, because
I know the answer to those questions for this sole piece of hardware this
synth will run on. I just need to know what functions to call to gain access
to the master volume control. I don't _want_ to know any more than that. In
fact, given the wretched state of ALSA documentation, I hope I never have to
know another thing about ALSA, once I've found the answer to this one last
question.

Thanks in advance.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco