Re: "Unknown field slaves" with virtual multi-channel device

Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> I gutted /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf so that it just loads
> /etc/asound.conf

Aaargh!

That file contains all the default definitions.
Please restore the original from the alsa-lib package.

> Is there a way I can get debugging output from ALSA while it processes
> its configuration, so that I can try to make sense of this?

Unfortunately not.

> pcm.multi {
>   type multi;
>   slaves.a.pcm "hw:0,0";
>   [...]
> }
>
> pcm.multi {
>   type hw;
>   card 0;
> }
>
> The second pcm.multi stanza redefines the device called multi using
> the hw plugin. invalidating the configuration statements in the first
> stanza.

Actually, this _merges_ both definition; the result is the same as:

  pcm.multi {
      type hw
      slaves.a.pcm "hw:0,0"
      card 0