Help with hdmi sound for flash player in chrome

I have a machine running arch linux which has an HDMI monitor and which has sound coming through the monitor via HDMI just fine when playing music from Amarok, and login system sounds play fine too.  However there is no sound from flash content in the chrome browser for this system.

I had selected the appropriate hdmi channel in kmix for all the available audio playback devices.

alsamixer has all output channels unmuted.

The motherboard (DQ77KB) has one alsa card which supports hdmi output and it does work for KDE apps and system sounds.

Also I can get sound coming out of the monitor speakers via hdmi with:
aplay -D plughw:0,7 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

However if I run chrome and play a flash video the video I can see fine - but there is no sound.

I have read all the available arch wiki articles about hdmi sound including that at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ for alsa which suggest making a ~/.asound file with definitions for the default device but as soon as I make a ~/.asound file with either of the suggested contents KDE immediately tells me that the hdmi sound for that output has been selected to be removed and offers me to make that permanent!

This is for an x86_64 arch system all up to date - and I have flashplayer installed.

Can anyone guide me as to where to look for a solution that will get this particular system playing sound from flash content on web pages in chrome with the existing alsa sound package? I don't have pulseaudio installed and I would like to be able to get this working without resorting to going that route.

I have several other (non-hdmi) systems which have no problem with sound from web pages playing flash content.

Thanks

--
mike c