audioquest dragonfly does not play 88.2 & 96 khz files properly under Ubuntu 12.10

Good people;

I wonder if any of you have any experience yet with the Audioquest Dragonfly, specifically under Ubuntu 12.10 which is running this kernel GNU/Linux 3.5.0-23-generic x86_64

This device sounds fine with 44.1 kHz / 16bit files but the 88.2 and 96 kHz / 24bit files do not.  Specifically, I can hear the music for both of those files, but there is a loud kind of "static" thing going in the foreground.

A "cat /proc/asound/DragonFly/stream0" when playing at all three bit rates seems to show "reasonable" parameters.  Also, the LEDs on the Dragonfly show the correct color corresponding to the bit rate.

One thing I note is that Alsa seems to want to run at 24 bits even for the 16 bit files ie one is forced to use plughw:1,0 for the output.

When I was debugging my Schiit Bifrost (still not working the way I want FWIW) I recall some patching that Daniel Mack was applying to the kernel in 3.6 (I think).  Perhaps I need a newer kernel...?

Anyway; I can provide debugging output if useful.

Thanks for any light anyone can shed.

--
Chris Hermansen · clhermansen@xxxxxxxxx

C'est ma façon de parler.