Re: snd-usb-audio: Volume much too loud on Plantronics GameCom 780 USB headset

Mika Fischer wrote:
> I have the problem with my Plantronics GameCom 780 USB headset, that
> the volume under Linux is much too loud.
> [...]
> Interestingly I had basically the same problem under Windows 8 until I
> installed the Windows 7 driver for the headset provided by
> Plantronics. Windows 8 had probably used a generic USB audio driver
> for the headset before and that exhibited exactly the same issue that
> I have now under Linux. After installing the driver, the volume was
> behaving normally again, [...]
> Does anyone have an idea what's going wrong here?

Apparently, the headset's firmware handles the volume settings in
some incorrect way.

> And maybe also how it could be fixed, as apparently it *can* be
> fixed in software?

Plantronics knows.

> I'd also be happy with a config file hack, that somehow scales the
> volume down and adjusts the reported gain levels so that the volume
> controls in pulseaudio make sense again.

This is possible, but only if we know what values to use.

What are the smallest steps you can change with amixer?

Regards,
Clemens