snd-usb-audio: Volume much too loud on Plantronics GameCom 780 USB headset

Hi,

I have the problem with my Plantronics GameCom 780 USB headset, that
the volume under Linux is much too loud.

If I play the Front_Center.wav test sound in a loop using aplay, and
adjust the PCM volume control (the only volume control present), I
have the following effect:
- at 0% (-37 dB gain) there's silence
- at 1% (-36 dB gain) it's already as loud as I would set it to for
comfortable listening
- at 10% (-30 dB gain) it's as loud as I'm willing to use with the
headset still on
- at 50% (-13 dB gain) the headset can be easily used as desktop speakers
- at 100% (0 dB gain) it's really really loud

There's also a "Loudness" control in alsamixer, which when enabled,
makes things even louder...

Interestingly I had basically the same problem under Windows 8 until I
installed the Windows 7 driver for the headset provided by
Plantronics. Windows 8 had probably used a generic USB audio driver
for the headset before and that exhibited exactly the same issue that
I have now under Linux. After installing the driver, the volume was
behaving normally again, meaning that a much larger range than 0-10%
of the volume was usable without risking ear damage.

As an aside, in pulseaudio, the volume control behaves differently and
everything below 24% (-36.93 dB) is silent. The usable range is 24% to
31% (-30.84 dB). Everything above that is much too loud. I think this
is basically the same issue though.

Does anyone have an idea what's going wrong here? And maybe also how
it could be fixed, as apparently it *can* be fixed in software? I'd
also be happy with a config file hack, that somehow scales the volume
down and adjusts the reported gain levels so that the volume controls
in pulseaudio make sense again.

System configuration:
Arch Linux x86_64
Kernel 3.7.4-1-ARCH