Re: No soundcards found - but only kernel 3.x

Le Tue, 22 Jan 2013 12:42:50 +0000 (UTC),
User <pktksw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> May be someone can have a clue to this problem:
>
> ALSA on a SB Live! using kernel 2.6.xx is PERFECT.
> No problems at all.
>
> **BUT** on the very SAME SYSTEM (same perms on /dev
> /proc is fine and /sys is ok as well - and the same
> module loading sequence is used just fine) where THE
> ONLY UNIQUE diff is the kernel version....
>
> Where version 2.6.xx is PERFECT, every version 3.x
> is LOADING JUST FINE, but ALSA CAN NOT FIND A
> SOUNDCARD
>
> -- BUT!!!! note that this detail is driving me nuts...
>
> - ALSA_OSS CAN!!! AND IS JUST PERFECT, where plain
> ALSA tools (aplay, amix, etc) are just lost without
> a soundcard found..... ALSA_OSS IS WORKING JUST FINE.
> E.g. kernel driver ok, devices ok.... but aplay rant:
>
> - No soundcards found....
>
> Did I miss something ? UDEV? or some new kernel parmameter
> out of my understanding ? Perms are fine... the driver is fine...
>
> But aplay rant is not... it can not "open" the sound device /dev
> despite OSS can and ALL STUFF IS OK in kernel 2.6.xx just PERFECT!
>
> Any hint is welcome.

I think you must be much more specific. To begin with, which was the
last working 2.6 kernel, and which 3.x kernel did you try?

I am not a kernel guru, but I know that many core packages depends on
the kernel headers. That imply that, in order to insure a good system
consistency, you must install the kernel headers with every kernel
upgrade, and recompile all the packages that depend on them.

Using the packages from a distribution will do those updates for you,
but if you are upgrading the kernel yourself, you are on your own with
this kernel headers problematic. If you don't make those updates, or
make them in a non correct order, anything inclusive the most strange
and hard to solve bugs can append, and bigger the steps between the
kernels, more problems can, and will, arise.

Also, you should run this script
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh
and when prompted, upload the information and share the link with us.

And last but not least: don't use a rt-kernel during compiling - gcc
can crash, or worst, it can produce wrong code with them, that even in
case of successful compilation. Use a vanilla or the recommended kernel
from your distribution when compiling.

Ciao,
Dominique

> Regards