Re: Poor man's network transparency.

On 18-12-12 14:13, Clemens Ladisch wrote:

> Rene Herman wrote:
>> I am setting up basic, "manual" network-transparency on my local network
>> using alsa. Getting sound data from "server" to "player" is easily
>> accomplished with the "file" plugin and netcat [...]
>> ... where on "player" I have a listener running that does:
>>
>> "nc -l -p <port> server | aplay -t raw -f cd"
>>
>> I was wondering/expecting if/that there is a nicer way to do this on
>> "player", though.
>
> In what way "nicer"?  You have the samples on a network port, and want
> to play them on an hardware device; this is the simplest way to do it.

In the same way nicer as the the play direction, mostly. As said, the
file plugin allows me to ship the audio over the network simply as:

aplay -D player foo.wav

Clearly I could also shove the data out the port manually with netcat
but the file plugin's support for pipe's makes me not need to do that.

Now, what's not clear to me is whether or not I can also define a PCM
that rather than write to a pipe, *reads* from one. This PCM would then
be used (on player) as

arecord -D server foo.wav

(or more likely in my case , through "alsaloop -C server -P default" to
loop anything captured through the "server" PCM out to the default sound
card on player -- but that's not really the point).

Yes, as mentioned, I can do that manually through netcat as well, but
that's not much  different from being able to do it manually for the
play direction. I am therefore wondering about the to me unexpected
asymmetry -- or whether or not I just missed HOW to do it.

And yes -- given that the play direction gets you automatic support for
any file format, the asymmetry is not total but I was still wondering.
It *would* after all get you automatic support for any recording app.

Rene.