Re: Poor man's network transparency.

Rene Herman wrote:
> I am setting up basic, "manual" network-transparency on my local network
> using alsa. Getting sound data from "server" to "player" is easily
> accomplished with the "file" plugin and netcat [...]
> ... where on "player" I have a listener running that does:
>
> "nc -l -p <port> server | aplay -t raw -f cd"
>
> I was wondering/expecting if/that there is a nicer way to do this on
> "player", though.

In what way "nicer"?  You have the samples on a network port, and want
to play them on an hardware device; this is the simplest way to do it.

> Specifically, I was expecting to be able to mirror the
> server-side of things by defining a "server" PCM on player that
> *captured* from "nc -l -p <port> server |", after which I'd use a
> daemonized "alsaloop" as my actual player-application.

ALSA drivers capture from ALSA devices.

You could use alsaloop like this:

  netcat --> aplay --> alsaloop --> arecord --> aplay

... but what would the point?

Regards,
Clemens