Re: RME Hdspe AES not working with Ubuntu 12.04 and Ubuntu 12.10

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 16:06:59 +0800
David Lam <diyuser@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,Does anyone of you able to run Hdspe AES on Ubuntu 12.04 or 12.10?

The PCI version works fine so far (CentOS, custom kernel with recent
ALSA drivers from git).

> I have just done a fresh install of 12.04 n 12.10, tried kernel
> 3.2.X, 3.4.0 and 3.5.19 unfortunately none of them run properly with
> Alsa 1.0.25. However it works perfectly on 10.04 with alsa 1.0.25, so
> basically same hardware setup same driver version only difference is
> the version of Ubuntu.

I don't know what changed in Ubuntu and the release tarballs of ALSA
are a bit outdated as well. If you want to do some research:

$ git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound.git

This will give you a full kernel source tree with latest ALSA
development drivers. Do config/compile/install/boot as normal and see,
if this already changes things for you.

> I compiled the alsa myself and it is successfully compiled with no
> errors shown, actually it plays but the sound is like FAST FORWARDED.

Interesting. Though there are speed controls, setting them shouldn't
result in this behaviour AFAIK. In alsamixer, look for 'Double Speed
Wire Mode' and 'Quad Speed Wire Mode'. Play around with them and see,
if something changes. I only have remote access to the cards right now,
so all I can say is that the AES speed controls are a little different
from the MADI ones.
Also, make sure pulseaudio isn't running, this can cause some problems
as well.

> In alsamixer instead of showing 64ch it only shows 16ch which I guess
> this is the culprit of fast forwarded sound.

AES cards only have 16 chans (compared to MADI cards with 64 chans), so
this is fine.

> Also, the name inside the alsamixer is showing HDSP MADI on 10.04 but
> on latest build it shows AES XXXX (some code / firmware no.)

This is also fine. It was changed to avoid user confusion, as the HDSPM
kernel module supports more cards from RME besides the MADI series (see
below).

A log of all changes to the module can be found under [1].

> Using aplay -l and lspci -v it recognized the sound interface a
> little bit different from 10.04 installation, on 10.04 It shows the
> module is snd-hdspm and the Kernel module is RME HAMMERFALL MADI,
> however in latest installation it shows snd_hdspm and snd-hdspm
> accordingly instead of having the "full" description of the device.

This shouldn't be the problem, it's only some strings/names inside the
module that changed.
lspci uses a different way to obtain the card name, so the output
between aplay/ALSA and lspci may differ as well (search for a text file
called "pci.ids" in your /usr directory).

> Moreover using ps command on 10.04 it shows the soundcard module
> irq/16-hdspm, on the latest build it shows irq/16-snd_hdsp

The process name of the kthread is cropped at a fixed length, thus the
'm' is missing. This confused me as well the first time I saw it. ;)
Grep the output of lsmod for 'hdsp' - only 'snd_hdspm' should show up,
not 'snd_hdsp'.

> (is this module for pci instead of pci-e?) Could someone shed me some
> lights please?

There is no special code for PCIe devices inside the ALSA modules, they
work for both types of cards.

$ find /lib/modules/$(uname -r) -iname \*hdsp\*
/lib/modules/3.4.11-rt19/kernel/sound/pci/rme9652/snd-hdsp.ko
/lib/modules/3.4.11-rt19/kernel/sound/pci/rme9652/snd-hdspm.ko

The snd-hdsp.ko supports older cards like 9632/9652, whereas
snd-hdspm.ko supports newer cards like MADI, AES(32), RayDat etc.. [2]
Originally, snd-hdspm.ko only supported MADI cards, support for other
cards was added in later. That's why older versions of ALSA would tell
you sth. about MADI, though you have an AES card. [3]

Cheers,
  Andre

[1]
https://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound.git;a=history;f=sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c