Re: Linux HDMI Issues. Ubuntu with Nvidia 8400 GS

Am Dienstag, den 27.11.2012, 11:03 +1100 schrieb Kenneth Jones:
> Well I'm stuck, so I thought I'd share my woes to see if anyone had a
> magic trick i've missed.
>
> The short story:
> My Storage Server / HTPC was getting a bit long in the tooth, so I
> decided to update the distro from Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04 Desktop.
>
> This update happened without any issues, except that sound won't play
> out the HDMI anymore. The HDMI being delivered by an Nvidia 8400 GS
> card.
>
> Linux is not showing any Nvidia Audio devices, but some forums have
> suggested this isn't the case with cards that don't have their own
> Sound chip and instead passthrough audio from a cable plugged into the
> motherboards S/PDIF header (which mine does).
>
> Audio DOES work through analog output. (I can plug headphones in and
> get sound out)

Dear Kenneth
the standard kernel on 12.04 is 3.2 and I had unconfirmed info that with
this kernel there is no HDMI audio support. As shown in my mail from
yesterday I added Kernel 3.6.6 and this obviously is supportive of HDMI.
Whether this would be the case in your situation, I cannot judge since
the NVidia cards have some specialities with respect to HDMI audio.