Re: creative audigy 2 zs notebook - bit perfect?

Clemens, list:

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 6:50 AM, Clemens Ladisch
<cladisch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> chris hermansen wrote:
>> I think I am getting the music resampled somewhere along the way.
>
> Check in /proc/asound/card2/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params what the actual
> rate is.

It appears the rate may be ok, but that the word size is converted to 16 bits.

here is definitinon of hw:2,0 from aplay -L

hw:CARD=Audigy2,DEV=0
    SB Audigy 2 ZS Notebook [SB0530, ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback
    Direct hardware device without any conversions

and here is the results of trying to play a 96kHz 24bit wav file on that device:

sudo aplay -v -D hw:2,0 2L*wav
Playing WAVE '2L50SACD_tr1_96k_stereo.wav' : Signed 24 bit Little
Endian in 3bytes, Rate 96000 Hz, Stereo
aplay: set_params:1081: Sample format non available
Available formats:
- U8
- S16_LE

so it seems that when I use plughw instead of hw, the plug converts it
to 96kHz / 16bit.

aplay -v -D plughw:2,0 2L*wav
Playing WAVE '2L50SACD_tr1_96k_stereo.wav' : Signed 24 bit Little
Endian in 3bytes, Rate 96000 Hz, Stereo
Plug PCM: Linear conversion PCM (S16_LE)
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : RW_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S24_3LE
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 2
  rate         : 96000
  exact rate   : 96000 (96000/1)
  msbits       : 24
  buffer_size  : 16384
  period_size  : 4096
  period_time  : 42666
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  avail_min    : 4096
  period_event : 0
  start_threshold  : 16384
  stop_threshold   : 16384
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 1073741824
Slave: Hardware PCM card 2 'SB Audigy 2 ZS Notebook [SB0530' device 0
subdevice 0
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S16_LE
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 2
  rate         : 96000
  exact rate   : 96000 (96000/1)
  msbits       : 16
  buffer_size  : 16384
  period_size  : 4096
  period_time  : 42666
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  avail_min    : 4096
  period_event : 0
  start_threshold  : 16384
  stop_threshold   : 16384
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 1073741824
  appl_ptr     : 0
  hw_ptr       : 0

>> I can use alsamixer to change the volume of the output
>
> What does this have to do with resampling?

Maybe more to do with my ignorance, Clemens, but I had thought that if
I selected the hw:x,y device there was no way to change volume on
things with the mixer.

>> the slider called S/PDIF optical raw is marked (off, off)
>
> I don't know what this does.  But why don't you enable it?

So I tried enabling that (used the M command in alsamixer) and with
that enabled I get no sound, at least through hw:2,0, though aplay
thinks it's playing something...

--
Chris Hermansen · clhermansen@xxxxxxxxx

C'est ma façon de parler.