creative audigy 2 zs notebook - bit perfect?

Good people;

I am using an older laptop running Ubuntu 12.10 to serve music via mpd
and alsa to a Schiit Bifrost DAC.  I would like this to be "bit
perfect", ie, a 192kHz/24bit music file on the computer is passed
without alteration to the DAC for decoding.

Originally I had connected the pc and the DAC via USB.  This almost
works the way I want it to, except a transition in rate doesn't quite
happen automatically - alsa sets a new bit rate but it's not correct.
Stopping and restarting the music always fixes the problem.

Today I acquired a used creative audigy 2 zs which apparently will
output up to 192kHz/24bit on its optical SPDIF out.

I installed it in my server and got music right away.  However, I
think I am getting the music resampled somewhere along the way.

I believe this for two reasons.

First, I can use alsamixer to change the volume of the output, using
either the master or S/PDIF optical sliders, despite the following
configuration in /etc/mpd.conf

        device          "hw:2,0"        # sometimes it's 2, depends on
load order at boot time
        #format default is pass through
        replay_gain_handler     "none"
        mixer_type      "none"
        auto_resample   "no"
        auto_channels   "no"
        auto_format     "no"
        buffer_time     "1000000"
        period_time     "25000"

also interesting is that the slider called S/PDIF optical raw is
marked (off, off) (this is what I imagine I should be using to get
unprocessed bits flowing through

Second, the Schiit has a relay that apparently switches (clicking
audibly) when the bit rate changes (I am pretty sure I verified this
one day experimenting with another computer and an electrical S/PDIF
connection), but when I switch between songs with MPD I don't hear any
relay clicking.

There is a comment on
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Vendor-Creative_Labs
about this device, suggesting that digital PCM out works but that
maybe only 44.1 and 48 kHz rates are supported...

Anyway, I know this is an old unit, but does anyone have any ideas on
how to proceed?  I'm willing to code...

--
Chris Hermansen · clhermansen at gmail dot com

C'est ma façon de parler.