Clicks with MP3 files

Hi,

I am an exprienced Linux user, but don't know much about ALSA, and I have a
strange problem that I do not know how to fix:

When I play mp3s, either directly with mplayer2, or via the audacious music
player, targetting a USB sound card (AudioEngine D1) via ALSA, I hear clicks.
However, I do not hear clicks if I use a WAV file (generated from the MP3)
with aplay, or if I use audacious with Jack at 96kHz (which I think is a
clumsy way of making audacious upsample to 96kHz before targetting Jack which
in turn targets ALSA).

> aplay -l
card 2: D1 [Audioengine D1], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 3: VLink [Musical Fidelity V-Link], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 4: D2 [Audioengine D2], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

> mplayer2 -ao alsa:device=hw=2.0 test.mp3
[audible clicks]

> lame --decode test.mp3 test.wav

> aplay -D default:CARD=D1 -t wav test.wav
Playing WAVE '/crypto/music/test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate
44100 Hz, Mono
[works fine]

>  uname -a
Linux block 3.4.11-2.16-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Sep 26 17:05:00 UTC 2012
(259fc87) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I am using OpenSuse 12.2 with their stock (desktop) kernel.  ALSA version
1.0.25-3.5.1.

I have the same problem with the D2 (and the D1 was fine with OpenSuse 12.1).
The VLink is fine, but then it's a USB synch-to-asynch buffer, so maybe it
should work better.

I do not notice any strange values (CPU use, disk use) with atop when the
clicks happen - this is a lightly loaded, fairly powerful desktop.

Any advice?  I have no ALSA-specific configuration - the above is just what
happens by default.  I am using the KDE desktop, which means that phonon is
running, but I thought I was avoiding that by targetting ALSA directly (I am
not very impressed with phonon - it seems to get confused if devices are
unplugged etc and has also given clicks; I was thinking ALSA should be
simpler...)

Thanks,
Andrew